30-July-08

1. The Age: my review of Sofie Laguna's One Foot Wrong
2. The Small Press Underground Networking Community – SPUNC – has received Ozco and CAL funding and is about to hire staff. One of the many events worth watching out for at this year's Melbourne Writers' Festival is the Spunc Cabaret, on the 23rd of August at 6pm in the Festival Club for free. Including, amongst other things, Sleepers Almanac readings by Jo Bowers and Paul Mitchell.
3. The Internet Writing Journal: Alan Alda on Learning to write with a sledgehammer
4. Bret Easton Ellis referred to The Corrections as 'the novel of my generation'. One of my favourites of his is his first: Less Than Zero. I think he's still limbering up, and proving himself important at every turn. Apparently Jay McInerney wasn't too happy with his main character, Alison Poole, from Story of My Life, appearing in Glamorama. I'm a fan of the mixing, the playing, the meshing – other people's characters walking in and out of the wrong novels. For Ellis fans, there is a 22-year-old audio interview here.

3 comments:

that's mister nora to you, sonny said...

You know I'm fairly sure Patrick Batemen shows up briefly in Story of My Life, so Jay can't be getting too uppity!

I do love Jay though - Story of My Life is, strangely, one of my favourite books.

xoxonora

Louise Swinn said...

Story of My Life is excellent, I agree. Easy to re-read too. It was published before American Psycho though - yeah, about 3 years-ish? Jay would be good company, right? Him, BEE, Tama Janowitz - together in a intimate salon?

that's mister nora to you, sonny said...

Aha I just looked it up and Mr Bateman appeared earlier in Ellis's own Rules of Attraction - not in Story of My Life. I need to get of those horse tranqs.

Also: I would like to go to that salon!

xoxonora