19-September-08

The thing I remember most about 'The Weasel, Twelve Monkeys, and the Shrub', DFW's essay on John McCain (Rolling Stone, 2000), is the way in which Wallace forced me to get inside McCain's head, especially by making me think about what it was like when his plane was shot down and he was so badly injured in Vietnam. 'Try for a moment to feel this.' And I did. DFW was a writer of incredible compassion and empathy and I can learn a lot from him. He will be missed. Personal recollections of him here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curtis Sittenfeld's 'American Wife' has hit #4 on the NYT Hardcover bestseller list! http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/books/bestseller/besthardfiction.html?8bu&emc=bu
Have you got hold of it yet Lou?
I wonder if there will be a resurgance of DFW's work in the bestseller lists?

Louise Swinn said...

i haven't read much new fiction lately but I'm looking forward to getting around to the Sittenfeld. I think you'll probably be right about David Foster Wallace's books.

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94629055&sc=nl&cc=bn-20080921
if you haven't heard/seen it already

Louise Swinn said...

thanks anonymous.