5-June-08

Tonight, I'm lucky enough to be talking to three-time Miles Franklin shortlister Steve Carroll at the Sleepers Salon
Rose Tremain won the Orange Prize
Toltz and de Kretser make it on to the Hay Festival's 21 list
Lee Child: '... while watching the Britney Spears Pepsi commercial during the Super Bowl a few years ago, he saw instantly how "Pepsi Cola" is an anagram for "Episcopal" and "Britney Spears" an anagram for "Presbyterians".'
Donna Tartt: 'Literature today seems to be divided into two camps: extremely literary work, with lots of emphasis on technique and style and so forth and then these sort of popular blockbusters and I know at heart I'm a manic stylist. I love a beautiful sentence, a well-constructed paragraph, some gorgeous turn of phrase that'll just make you sit back in your chair and say oh-oh. But unfortunately I think a lot of books that are well-constructed are really very self-involved and don't take the reader very much into consideration.'

No comments: